August 5, 2018
Damascus – Newbern
144 km (89 miles)
1868 m (6127 feet) elevation
6:22 moving time
6309 km (3921 miles)
How fantastic it is to get a good night sleep, everything then looks brighter, greener and easier 😁
We could not get a good breakfast so before we got to Rural Retreat we had gone 75km and climbed 970m. Our stomachs were empty, and our energy dropping. We can always notice when it happens because then we quit talking to each other 😉
It was cold going up the first mountain, only about 13 degrees so we wore our arm warmers and gilet. Soon the sun was out and the weather was just beautiful today.
At one junction a pick up truck drive up next to us and told us a big white dog was coming after us. And there he came, big, barking loudly and really dirty, but wiggling his tail and not coming to close. Sæmi even tried to give him a treat that he did not touch. It was the owner warning us, said many cyclist were scared of him. We even think a blogger we have followed wrote about this huge, scary white dog that he tested his dogspray against 😑 no need for this dog.
At Sugar Grove we encountered a fascinated old man walking with a fancy decorated cane. He told us the kind of every feather on his cane and that he made the cane himself and is making more to sell. He did not seem to have much between his hands but he smiled and looked happy and wished us a good and safe journey.
We thought that when we would get closer to the east coast getting on a good wifi would get easier but it has proved to be the other way. At restaurants there is rare to get any wifi and if it is it’s usually not strong.
Sæmi was not at his best today. Feeling the hills from the days before, lack of rest and probably not hydrated enough he struggled around noon to keep on cycling in the heat that got to around 36 degrees. He did not give up and kept drinking. After some rest and cooling off at a gas station he soon felt better 🤗 and stormed the hills up and down all the way to Newburn.
We had thought about going further today and possibly reaching the beach after three more days but the heat, the distance to go and Vesuvius is too much. Today’s plan is to finish after four days, few days earlier than the original plan 😁 we can’t wait to get home to our kids and families and to our sweet little Vargur 🤗
Before starting our journey we bought tickets back home the 15th of August, with Icelandair, hoping we would be able to cross over and get to Washington before that day. Yesterday I sent them a message about changing the ticket. The answer was not pleasing, the cost for changing the ticket is more than a new one costs. What is that!!!!! We should have looked at this before buying the ticket back but this is crazy.
Feeling a little tired, with jelly in our legs but really happy about our journey over America and really excited to be almost finished 😁